Saturday, September 17, 2022

Cavalier: The Story of an Unsolved Murder in a Small Town by Connie L. Nelson


 The last time I saw my friend Jack we were in the hospital lobby. He was wearing faded green scrubs and a lab jacket. He went through the door to the second floor. I never saw him again. My friend was murdered in his home later that night. My life changed in so many ways on that cold day in February 1986. This book explores my recollections, experiences, and memories while trying to make sense of this unsolved crime.

 I've conducted research based on three primary source materials: 
(1) interpersonal communications; 
(2) the investigation notes provided by the current sheriff and his deputy; and 
(3) newspaper reports from 1986.

 I kept these documents in an eleven-by thirteen-inch box, approximately four inches deep, which resurfaced when I retired in 2018 and was packing to move to New Mexico. I knew immediately what the box contained, even though I hadn't looked through its contents for many years. When I did go through the artifacts, it brought back a confusing combination of feelings and memories and a deep sadness. So many things have changed in my life since 1986, with one constant: no one has been charged or convicted of my friend's murder. Whether you live in a large city or a small community like Cavalier, the people who are left behind want to know what happened. This book has been written for those of us who grapple with murder, victimization, loss, and the unanswered questions-the friends and family of a victim of a homicide who has given up hope of any resolution. I also write for two additional audiences: the fans of true-crime stories and the law enforcement officials open to suggestions about how to deal more effectively and respectfully with the victim's friends and families. Sadly, Jack's case is one of more than 250,000 unsolved homicide cases in the US today, so I am not alone. As time passes, the chances of finding the murderer are vastly reduced. But the idea that a case goes cold is hard to take when it's your friend or family member who's been murdered.


Title: Cavalier: The Story of an Unsolved Murder in a Small Town


Author: Connie L. Nelson 


Pub. Date:  July 9th, 2022





Review


As someone who loves true crime, I couldn't wait to pick this up. Then as I started to read it I started to think about the murder in my own family. We know who and we probably will never know why, so we do have some closure (even though I hate that word). I really felt the love from Connie as she wrote about her friend but also the pain from losing him. The frustration she must have felt from the law enforcement only focused on one theory because a few people said it so it must be true. I know it was the 80s but still, if I was a cop I would want anyone's help. The writing did drag in some places but it still had me hooked. My love goes to Connie and Jack's family. 


I want to thank Connie and Detour for letting me host a stop on the tour. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves true crime



No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of the Undying Seasons

  I made a playlist for this book and had so much fun making it as I read it. I will be sharing it at the end of my blog. I will also post a...